Monday, May 28, 2007

Work vs. Leisure

Hello to everyone out there in the blogosphere. I'm sorry I haven't made a new post in some time, I've been somewhat busy as of late. And I know that a 'busy day' to me is what most of you would call 'a day', but it was relatively busy for me so I didn't have time to do important things like update my blog. And for that I apologize. I had to go to Toronto for two things: 1. get a job 2. play rock music. Two very different things but also two very important things.

I've tried my best not to get a job for the longest time, but there comes a point in every man's life (some much later than others) when he feels the need to leave the nest and actually start supporting himself rather than constantly relying on his all-too-accomodating parents. And, let me tell you, my nest is a very comfortable place and hard to leave. The cola flows like water and there's always a fresh bag of Lays regular potato chips waiting for me at 5:00. Banjoes and harmoniums are strewn about the house for impromptu jam sessions. The TV screens are big and the days are short. And of course, poutine fridays make the start of the weekend that much sweeter. Basically, a great place to while away the day, truly enjoying ones leisure time. However, when the feelings of being a bum are disrupting your leisure, then it's not really leisure at all. True leisure is having no worries on your mind; I've experienced it many a time and I'll experience it again, but I had to make some changes so that my leisure time was actually earned, and not simply leisure time because I had nothing else to do.

So somehow I got a job in a desparate attempt to be a "normal human". The whole job search/ interview process is simply terrible. I didn't have a particularly bad experience or anything, but I'm just not used to that type of judgement. Just a panel of people poking and prodding at you trying to find out what type of person you are. I wish they just had a computer system that measured ones personality, attitude, and general demeanour and then compiled it all so that a human could be represented in number form. For example, 80/100 would be a pretty good human. Pretty funny, good handshake, looks you in the eyes when they talk to you, self motivated and whatnot. 50/100 would obviously be a borderline failure as a human. Potential drug and alcohol problems, anxiety and stress issues, problems controlling the level of their voice, etc. It just seems having an interview is a tad archaic. Let the computers do the work. . .that's their job.

So what was the point of this post. . .of course Work vs. Leisure: The Battle rages on. I mean ideally, work is leisure. You're so happy with what you do to make a living that the two are one in the same. But let's be realistic here. One thing that I have realized is that no matter what stage you are in life there is always going to be a certain level of anxiety that you have to deal with. For example, when you don't have a job you're worried about finding one. When you do have a job you're worried about losing your precious leisure time. We, as humans, are never totally satisfied with our current situation. There's always something. Obviously it varies from person to person, some people can deal with this anxiety better than others. Some use alcohol to do it for them. And some people are just happy all the time. But who wants that anyway. I would like to strive towards emotional moderation, in which one feels neither highs nor lows. But then again, that might get a bit boring after a while. Thought du jour: What's better? High and Lows or Steady Mids? You decide.

No comments: